When dealing with acute or chronic pain, patients are usually offered only one solution by their physician. Oral narcotic prescriptions (codeine, etc.) or NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen) seem to be the limit of most practitioners’ pain management tool chest.
In addition, we have patients needing palliative care, specialized medical care for people with serious illness. This type of care is focused on providing relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness. The goals of palliative care are to improve the quality of a seriously ill person's life and to support that person and their family during and after treatment. Our solutions focus on nausea & vomiting, dry mouth & stomatitis, excessive pulmonary secretions/death rattle, radiation mucositis and proctitis, and wound care.
At Las Colinas Pharmacy, we think "outside the box" and have innovative and cutting edge protocols to help ease the discomfort of our patients.
Using compounding, we can help customize treatments to provide pain relief, serious illness symptom relief and help reduce unwanted side effects. If called upon, our pharmacists have the training to use complex algorithms of pain management information to target specific types of pain. We have the ability to combine two or more medications into a single dosage delivery system. For instance, we might combine 3 pain relieving ingredients plus an anti-nausea medication, providing the patient with complete symptom relief in a single transdermal cream.
Our team also has extensive knowledge about natural medicine and can help recommend supplements to enhance and improve results.
Some of the common types of pain we regularly see in our patients:
- RCPS (regional complex pain syndrome) often referred to as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
- Back pain and failed back syndrome
- Intractable pain
- Acute sport injuries
- Post-operative pain
- Dental pain
- Cancer pain
- Neuralgias, such as Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Sunburn and radiation burns
- Orthopedic pain
We enjoy working with patients and physicians in devising treatments for each type of pain. We may employ numerous treatment modalities, made possible by compounding. Some unique solutions for treating pain, include:
- Immediate release capsules
- Slow release or sustained release capsules
- Troches, lozenges, rapid dissolve tablets
- Topical superficial creams, gels or ointments
- Topical transdermal creams, gels and ointments
- Injections, custom compounded
- Oral liquids and suspensions
- IV, epidural and intrathecal custom compounded, sterile, preservative-free cocktails for injection or infusion.
Let us put our training and experience to work for a solution for you or your patient. Our goal is improved quality of life.